The rooms located on the ground floor and the mezzanine level of the east wing of Udine Castle host contemporary exhibitions with archaeological and numismatic specimens which are the property of the Civic Museums or which originate from other national and international museums.
Soon, it is foreseen that the archaeological-numismatic section will be relocated with the intention of rediscovering the history of the city of Udine and of the Friulian territory with the aid of the conspicuous museum collections.
Notable amongst them is the Count Toppo Collection, composed of ceramic materials, glassware, cameos, ambers, and metals found in the properties of the Count in Aquileia.
After the relocation, a specific section will be dedicated to the rich and splendid collection of Augusto De Brandis, donated to the museum in 1924, which includes some hundred objects from Greater Greek culture, mainly originating from the archaeological areas of Taranto.
The Lombard period is represented by armament objects and objects of domestic activities originating from various necropolises discovered in different Friulian localities.
A special section will offer a large range of numismatic and medal collections preserved in the Numismatic Study, rich with over sixty thousand coins belonging to various collections which were brought together over time at the Civic Museums: the De Brandis Collection (specialising in Greek and Roman coins); the Colloredo Mels Collection (rich in Italian medieval material); and the Cigoi-Del Negro-Tartagna and Antonini Collections.